27 October 2009

More SPONTANEOUS Spanish!

Today, I taught a small group of five elementary school girls at The Madeleine School. We gathered in the room and the girls got out their pre-lesson snacks. While they ate, they updated me on their day at school, whose birthday it was, the Halloween candy their teacher had given them, etc.


All of a sudden, the following conversation took off with no input or participation on my part. To follow, you may need to know that



Hay = There is/There are


No hay = There isn't/there aren't



Helena:
(holding out an empty container) Look! No hay strawberries!
(pause)

Helena:
But hay strawberries in my mouth!
(laughter all around)

Amelia: Well, hay strawberries in your belly!

Katie:
No hay snack! (referencing the fact that she had no snack today)


Helena:
Hay strawberries in my belly now!


Ingrid:
(holding up an almond) No hay más snack! (and pops the almond into her mouth)



I was scribbling this all down, of course!
I tell you, this is the stuff the truly makes my day. To see Spanish come out naturally and with such excitement! They were laughing and so easily using hay/no hay. Almost racing to be the next to say something with their Spanish. It was delightful to see!


No comments:

Post a Comment